Welcome to Recast’s Endpoint Management Recap, July 2022 – by Daniel Engberg
I am writing this in the middle of my summer vacation here in Sweden. However, Microsoft and the community have not taken any break, as the volume of content below demonstrates.
This month we have some excellent news with the release of Windows Autopatch, ConfigMgr Technical Preview 2207, and new Windows 11 resources.
Microsoft held a Tech Community Live on Thursday, July 21. If you missed them, they are now available as recordings below:
At Recast, the team interviewed Prajwal Desai for a new series, Q & A with SysAdmin Superstars. Prajwal is an 8-time Microsoft MVP in Enterprise Mobility and an avid content creator.
I hope you like the newsletter, and make sure to enjoy some time out in the sun!
Contents – Endpoint Management Recap
- Events / Conference News
- Microsoft Product Announcements
- Hardware Vendor Updates (Tools / Security / Features)
- Community Tools / News
- Recast Updates
No events scheduled August
As mentioned in the introduction, this month Microsoft has released Windows Autopatch, which is an automated, cloud-based update solution. For the on-prem world, we have a new preview of ConfigMgr, named 2207. In this release we now have the possibility to move content between distribution points, both on-prem and in the cloud.
Endpoint Manager will also remove its support for Windows Information Protection (WIP) by the end of 2022.
- Tenant attach components fail to connect to backend cloud service – Configuration Manager | Microsoft Docs
ConfigMgr Tech Preview [What’s New Page]
This month, we have a new version of the ConfigMgr Technical Preview (2207). The news this time is the possibility to move content between on-premises or cloud distribution points from the ConfigMgr console. This is cool!
Microsoft Endpoint Manager (Intune) [What’s New Page]
- Intune APP now available for Android Enterprise dedicated devices in shared mode and AOSP devices – Microsoft Tech Community
- Blog | New in Microsoft Endpoint Manager – 2206 | Tech Community
- Support tip: Known issues in reporting and viewing compliance policies – Microsoft Tech Community
- macOS Settings catalog additions & macOS device actions – What’s New in Endpoint Manager – 2206 – YouTube
- Public Preview: Intune user configuration for Windows 11 multi-session VMs – Microsoft Tech Community
- Tech Community Live: Microsoft Endpoint Manager – July 2022 – Microsoft Tech Community
- Microsoft simplifies Endpoint Manager enrollment for Apple updates –Microsoft Tech Community
- Easily Manage Windows Updates From the Cloud Using Endpoint Manager (microsoft.com)
- Deploying Windows 11 with Autopilot Guided Simulation (regale.cloud)
- Windows Autopatch has arrived! – Microsoft Tech Community
Windows [What’s New Page]
Security Alerts and Info [Microsoft Security Portal – Security Update Guide]
Every month, we cover updates to the tools, scripts, and software provided by the major hardware vendors related to enterprise client management. For a full list of tools, blog posts and information about the vendors, check out the ConfigMgr Manufacturers’ page.
** Much of this information is provided directly from the vendor, so when you see “we” think of it as, “Vendor Name,” and not Recast Software.
Lenovo [Enterprise Tools Landing Page][Blog Site]
Due to the sheer amount of community content, I have decided only to include one post per contributor, to keep the size of the endpoint management recap down. Great work everyone with providing so much to us for free!
Podcasts / Blog Series / Video Blogs
- Graph 101 – E2 – Graph Explorer (I.T) – YouTube – Intune Training Series – (@OnPremCloudGuy, @AdamGrossTX, @powers_hell and @shackelfjaco)
- Graph 101 – E3 – Filters and Select Statements (I.T) – YouTube – (@OnPremCloudGuy, @AdamGrossTX, @powers_hell and @shackelfjaco)
- Log Analytics | KQL Queries | Intune Audit Operational Logs – YouTube – (@anoopmannur and @Hoorge)
- Windows Autopatch Expectation and Reality – YouTube – (@anoopmannur and @Hoorge)
- How to Deploy Microsoft Edge to macOS with Microsoft Intune – YouTube – Harry Lowton (@HarryLowt)
- Migrate an AAD User group to a Device group and vice versa – Modern Device Management (jannikreinhard.com) – Jannik Reinhard (@jannik_reinhard)
- Get started with Azure Resource Graph and PowerShell – DEV Community – Olivier Miossec (@omiossec_med)
- Office 365 Health Service using PowerShell – Evotec – Przemyslaw Klys (@PrzemyslawKlys)
- Intune Diagnostics Settings Log Analytics KQL Queries Azure Subscription Missing Issue HTMD Blog (anoopcnair.com) – Anoop C Nair (@anoopmannur)
- Find Group Membership For Device From Intune MEM Portal HTMD Blog (anoopcnair.com) – Jitesh Kumar (@jitesh8092)
- Script – Bulk create common AAD Groups for MSIntune – Let’s ConfigMgr! (letsconfigmgr.com) – Alex Durrant (@ADurrante)
- Get Group Membership for Intune Managed Devices with PowerShell (smsagent.blog) – Trevor Jones (@SMSagentTrevor)
- An Attempt to Configure Defender for Endpoint and Endpoint Manager With the Same Device Tag – Shehan Perera:[techBlog] – Shenan Perera (@Shehanperera85)
- Autopilot device esp phase time-out on Office Apps CDN (call4cloud.nl) Rudy Ooms – (@Mister_MDM)
- OEM Autopilot Registration – What does it mean? – Mike’s Endpoint Management (mikemarable.net) – Mike Marable (@mike_marable)
- Intune & Log Analytics reporting: control Lenovo/Dell BIOS versions (uptodate or not) with just one script – List devices with BIOS not uptodate – List old BIOS age in days – List BIOS not notuptodate per models #MSIntune #MEMPowered #LogAnalytics https://t.co/TQ9HYvkKDw https://t.co/PWuh2S2L9s – Stack IT News – Rafael Silva (@rpluto)
- Mitigating not applicable Credential Guard settings with troubleshooting & Proactive Remediations — Cloud Endpoint Blog (simonhakansson.com) – Simon Håkansson (@0fflineDocs)
- Enrolling shared Hybrid Azure AD Joined Windows devices to Intune | The Experience Blog – Andreas Stenhall (@AndreasStenhall)
- Simon does…: HP Connect for Microsoft Endpoint Manager (skotheimsvik.blogspot.com) – Simon Skotheimsvik (@SSkotheimsvik)
- Single Sign-on with Windows Hello For business on Azure AD devices using cloud trust – TimmyIT.com – Timmy Andersson (@TimmyITdotcom)
- Temporary Access Pass and the MFA during the Account ESP (call4cloud.nl) – Rudy Ooms – (@Mister_MDM)
- Manage the local Administrators group on AzureAD joined devices with Endpoint Manager/Intune – tech.tristantyson.com – Tristan Tyson (@modernenduser)
- View Group Membership for Intune Managed Devices (prajwaldesai.com) – Prajwal Desai (@PrajwalDesai)
- Getting started with Device Control Printer Protection – All about Microsoft Endpoint Manager (petervanderwoude.nl) – Peter van der Woude (@pvanderwoude)
- Set up a free Microsoft Intune lab tenant with Microsoft 365 developer subscription | Peter Klapwijk – In The Cloud 24-7 (inthecloud247.com) – Peter Klapwjik (@inthecloud_247)
- Manage File Type Associations via Microsoft List – Endpoint Cave – René Laas (@mr_helaas)
- Monitoring Intune policy configuration changes – Modern IT – Cloud – Workplace (oliverkieselbach.com) – Oliver Kieselbach (@okieselb)
- Create the Chrome baseline via Settings Catalog – Just about the Modern Workplace (joostgelijsteen.com) – Joost Gelijsteen (@Jgelijsteen)
- Prevent Write and Execute access to non-approved removable storage using Device Control and Microsoft Intune – imab.dk – Martin Bengtsson (@mwbengtsson)
- Getting started with the Microsoft Graph PowerShell SDK | vcloudnine.de – Patrick Terlisten (@PTerlisten)
- Using GitHub and Terraform to deploy Azure resources – Part 6 – Cloudninja.nu – Martin Therkelsen (@Mracket)
- Truly user-driven Windows Autopilot – Maciej Horbacz (universecitiz3n.tech) (@UniverseCitiz3n)
- Configure and use Lenovo BIOS supervisor password during OSD using PowerShell and Configuration Manager – imab.dk – Martin Bengtsson (@mwbengtsson)
- Show DP information during OSD using TSBackground – CCMEXEC.COM – Enterprise Mobility % – Jörgen Nilsson (@ccmexec)
- ConfigMgr Technical Preview 2207 New Features (prajwaldesai.com) – Prajwal Desai (@PrajwalDesai)
- CMPivot Query For SCCM BitLocker Management Event Logs HTMD Blog (anoopcnair.com) – Anoop C Nair (@anoopmannur)
- First looks at Distribution point content migration | just another windows noob ? (niallbrady.com) – Niall C. Brady – (@ncbrady)
- SCCM 2207 Technical Preview New Features HTMD Blog (anoopcnair.com) – Jitesh Kumar (@jitesh8092)
- How to Manage SCCM IIS Log Files (systemcenterdudes.com) – Benoit Lecours (@benoitlecours)
Other SysAdmin Info
- GitHub – tristantyson/Get-AzureADGroupSID: PowerShell script which returns the security identifier (SID) of the requested Azure Active Directory group. – Tristan Tyson (@modernenduser)
- The third installment of our 5-part webinar series on Endpoint Insights is now available on-demand or via blog recap! Register here to catch the fourth part on August 17th.
- Read our interview of Prajwal Desai for a new series, Q and A with SysAdmin Superstars.
- We are hiring! If you or someone you know is looking to make a huge impact at a fast-growing company, take a look at our job postings and apply today.
- Follow us on Twitter @RecastSoftware to hear the latest.
Thank you for checking out Recast’s Endpoint Management Recap – July 2022. Stay tuned for more helpful content coming your way.
See how Right Click Tools are changing the way systems are managed.
Immediately boost productivity with our limited, free to use, Community Edition.
Get started with Right Click Tools today: