Monthly What's New
Recast’s Endpoint Management Recap – October 2020
Receive notification right in your inbox whenever new content like this is released & sign up for our email list!
We’ll send you the latest updates, how-to’s, and solutions to empower you at every endpoint.
Welcome to the Recast Endpoint Management Recap, October 2020 by Gary Blok
Hi Bloggers! If you’re in the community and you’re blogging things, feel free to send me a DM or tag me in your twitter post when you tweet your latest blog post so I know it’s out there. I browse twitter fairly regularly, but I’m sure I still miss a lot of great content being created. If you’ve started blogging and it never shows up on my list, hit me up! @gwblok
Thanks for checking out the September edition of our recap. As always, the layout to the post:
- Events / Conference News
- Microsoft Product Announcements
- Hardware Vendor Updates (Tools / Security / Features)
- Community Tools / News
- Recast Updates
That’s the idea, a high level overview of things going on that you’ll want to be aware of and you can dig into them further on your own. If you’re new to this monthly post, you’ll want to look back at previous months, so much great content.
- Far West Systems Management User Group – Cloud Imaging Day – Nov 12, 2020 11:00 AM – 3:00 PM CST
Microsoft Products & Announcements
Microsoft has posted a page with a lot of great resources during this time, to help IT professionals, Educators, Families, and Remote Business, along with how Microsoft is helping in the battle on Covid-19 on their Responding to COVID-19 together page.
Microsoft Edge Browser (Based on Chromium Engine): [Landing Page][What’s New Page][RoadMap Portal]
- How to disable Internet Explorer on Windows
- Disabling legacy scripting engine JScript in Internet Explorer
- Microsoft Edge Customer Adoption Kit
Microsoft Defender Advanced Threat Protection – [Landing Page] [Resource Hub]
Microsoft 365 [Landing Page] [Roadmap] [Tech Community] [Youtube Channel]
- New ODT (Office Deployment Tool) Released
ConfigMgr [What’s New Page] [Tech Community] [Virtual Hub][MS Q\A][Reddit]
- Training: Introduction to Microsoft Endpoint Manager
- 2006 – The “Work from Home” Edition. Coded while the devs were working from home,
ConfigMgr Tech Preview [What’s New Page]
Intune [What’s New Page] [Tech Community]
Windows 10 [Landing Page] [Tech Community][Release Information]
- 20H2 released
- What’s New in 20H2 For IT Pros
- Access safeguard hold details with Update Compliance
- 1709 End of Support Happened!
- October 2020 servicing release for Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack
Security Alerts [Microsoft Security Portal – Security Update Guide]
Hardware Vendor Updates
I’m only listing changes. If you want a more complete list of their tools, check out previous month’s posts.
- [Enterprise Tools Landing Page] [Community / Blog Site] [Outlet Site]
- [Blog Post Update] Enhancements to the HPIARepo_Downloader script [GitHub]
- [Blog Post] Deploying HP Client Management Script Library (HPCMSL) with Microsoft Endpoint Manager
- [Blog Post] Managing battery health settings with Microsoft Endpoint Manager and HP Client Management Script Library (HPCMSL)
- [Blog Post] Remediating BIOS updates with Microsoft Endpoint Manager Proactive Remediation and HP Client Management Script Library (HPCMSL)
- [Tool Update] CMSL Preview 1.6 – Some new features. Please go ahead and test and report any bugs.
- [Tool Update] HPIA is now at 5.0.3 – Some customer friendly changes in 5.0.2 and a few bug fixes in .3
- [Windows Update] HP PCs – Address Configuration Setting Issue within HP Battery Health Manager Using Windows Update (MS: KB4583263)
- [Enterprise Tools Landing Page] [Refurbished Sale Site] [Outlet Site]
- Community Info: Issue with DCU & OEM image file
- [Enterprise Tools Landing Page][Blog Site]
- [Blog Post] Autopilot + System Update = Latest drivers
- [Tool Update] System Update 5.07.0110 – Enhancements to assist WFH
1. Support the use of cloud storage for local repository.
2. Standard user can install all updates.
3. Provide option to ignore proxy configuration if connection fails.
4. Control package types by command line.
5. Internal method to detect Win10 build
- [Tool Update] New version of Thin Installer due out soon – Address an issue with TLS 1.2 support; critical for those moving their repositories to the cloud
Community Tools \ Blogs
One more note, I do my best to provide Twitter accounts with the blog posts, both to provide credit where credit is due, and so you can then follow them yourselves to stay in the loop as things are coming out and ideas are being discussed on twitter.
Podcasts / Blog Series / Video Blogs
- [Documentation Series] Beyond the MS Docs, a ConfigMgr overview, starting with Task Sequence Steps in depth (Gary Blok @gwblok)
- [Youtube Channel] Intune Training Series [@OnPremCloudGuy & @AdamGrossTX]
- [Video Series] Video Tutorial: Introduction – Applications in MEMCM (Steve Rachui @steverac)
- [Community Site] Windows Virtual Desktop – Newsletter
- Microsoft Secure Score Series (Jan Bakker @janbakker_)
- [Blog Post] Deploying Universal Print printers with PowerShell & MS Intune (Ben Reader @powers_hell)
- [Blog Post] Windows 10 modern management with Intune – BitLocker issues (Gerry Hampson @GerryHampson
- [Blog Post] Install ConfigMgr Applications from Intune Portal | Admin Center (Anoop C Nair @anoopmannur)
- [Blog Post] How to Get a PFX Certificate for CMG (Garth Jones @GarthMJ)
- [GitHub] Create a Microsoft Team, set the owner and validate the owner is licensed – using PowerShell (Ben Whitmore @byteben)
- [GitHub] Deploy Azure Stack HCI nodes with Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (Jaromir Kaspar @jaromirkaspar)
- [Blog Post] Enable Microsoft Enterprise SSO plug-in for Apple Devices through Intune (Michael Mardahl @michael_mardahl)
- [Blog Post] True Bitlocker one-time key with Intune (Jan Ketil Skanke @JankeSkanke)
- [Blog Post] Endpoint Analytics Proactive Remediation: Check devices with missing or disabled drivers (Damien Van Robaeys @syst_and_deploy)
- [Blog Post] Using scripts to evaluate Win32 app requirements – “Require Chassis equals Laptop” (Ben Whitmore @byteben)
- [Blog Post] Deploy Windows 10 20H2 using MEMCM (@benoitlecours)
- [Blog Post] Update Windows 10 multi-app kiosk using Run Script (Jörgen Nilsson @ccmexec)
- [GitHub] Create a Scheduled Task with a CI (Chad Brower @brower_chad)
- [Blog Post] Dynamically install language packs and associated FoDs in an offline environment (Niall C. Brady @ncbrady)
Other SysAdmin Goodies
- [Blog Post] A quick way to unblock your downloaded files with a right-click and PowerShell (Damien Van Robaeys @syst_and_deploy)
- [Blog Post] Add the primary user of a device to local administrators group with PowerShell and no CSP (Damien Van Robaeys @syst_and_deploy)
- [Blog Post] Getting started with Microsoft Tunnel Gateway (Peter van der Woude @pvanderwoude)
- [Blog Post] Every day tools for the productive IT professional (@codaamok)
- Driver Automation Tool Driver Automation Tool 6.4.9 hotfix posted for Lenovo XML issues [Update Post] (Maurice Daly @modaly_it)
- NEW – 2PintSoftware – BITS Manager (Twitter Post)
- Free Windows Virtual Desktop E-book
Recast Software Updates
- Launched Right Click Tools 4.4
- [Webinar] Watch the 4.4 Release Webinar
- [Blog Post] Top Ten most used Right Click Tools
Thanks for checking out the post, and look forward to more monthly updates of what’s going on. If you think we missed something, or want any other news added, find us on Twitter: @RecastSoftware