Welcome to Recast’s Endpoint Management Recap, December 2022 – by Daniel Engberg
I’m taking a break from all the food and celebrations to bring you this year’s final Recast Recap. It’s been great to have been able to do this Recap since May of this year, and I will continue to do so in 2023.
In December, the main highlight was a new release of Configuration Manager, version 2211. A long-known security flaw, since SCCM 2007, has been the NAA account. In 2211, we can now see a warning if it’s being used, and make sure it’s using minimal permissions. It’s now also possible to migrate content from DPs between each other using Powershell.
I wish you a Happy New Year!
– Daniel Engberg
Recap of the Year
It’s been a big year for Microsoft endpoint management with some interesting rebranding and a focus on cloud PCs.
This has been the year of Windows 365 and a significant focus from Microsoft’s end. Many new features have been added, and Microsoft, as well as the community, has created tons of content on it. I’ve been playing around with it and using it as an extra PC in another tenant. It’s a great complement to Azure Virtual Desktop without the need to configure any infrastructure. I think that 2023 will have a lot more things going for Windows 365.
Once again, Microsoft has rebranded its endpoint management products. This time it was time to rename Endpoint Manager to Intune Product Family. It’s a familiar name, but with some added confusion, such as Configuration Manager now being part of the product. This caused issues with companies and community blogs tied to product names. Many have now learned not to create products based on Microsoft products. I want to know when it will change the next time.
We received a new version of Windows 11 22H2, released in September. This has been quite a popular release without any significant hiccups. What wasn’t advertised, though, was that not all of the announced features were there at launch but were subsequently added later.
Finally, we also saw the announcement of Windows Autopatch, a cloud service that automates Microsoft updates. I look forward to what this has in store for us in 2023.
Contents – Endpoint Management Recap
- Events / Conference News
- Microsoft Product Announcements
- Hardware Vendor Updates (Tools / Security / Features)
- Community Tools / News
- Recast Updates
- MMS – Midwest Management Summit – MMS at MOA, Minnesota – May 1 – May 4, 2023
- MMS – Midwest Management Summit – MMS 2023 Miami Beach Edition (mmsmoa.com) – October 30 – November 1, 2023
- Complete SCCM 2211 Upgrade Guide – Prajwal Desai (@PrajwalDesai)
- Top 7 SCCM 2211 New Features, Improvements, and Fixes (prajwaldesai.com) – Prajwal Desai (@PrajwalDesai)
- Step-by-Step SCCM 2211 Upgrade Guide (systemcenterdudes.com) – Benoit Lecours (@benoitlecours)
- Update 2211 for Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager current branch is now available – Microsoft Community Hub
- Configuration Manager technical preview version 2211 – Microsoft Community Hub
- ConfigMgr Technical Preview 2211 New Features and Fixes (prajwaldesai.com) – Prajwal Desai (@PrajwalDesai)
Microsoft Intune [What’s New Page]
Windows [What’s New Page]
- Windows 365
- Overview of restoring a Cloud PC to a previous state with Windows 365 Enterprise | Microsoft Learn
- Create a dynamic device group containing your Cloud PCs | Microsoft Learn
- Known issues for Windows 365 Enterprise | Microsoft Learn
Security Alerts and Info [Microsoft Security Portal – Security Update Guide]
Every month, we cover updates to the tools, scripts, and software provided by the major hardware vendors related to enterprise client management. Check out the ConfigMgr Manufacturers page for a complete list of tools, blog posts, and information about the vendors.
No updates this month.
Due to the sheer amount of community content, I have decided only to include one post per contributor, to keep the size of the endpoint management recap down. Great work everyone with providing so much to us for free!
Podcasts / Blog Series / Video Blogs
- Real talk on Windows 11: Daniel Engberg – YouTube
- 8 Ways to Sync a (Windows) Device in Intune – YouTube – John Bryntze (@JohnBryntze)
- Updates to Windows App Management in Intune with Winget – YouTube – Microsoft Mechanics (@MSFTMechanics)
- ConfigMas 2022 – YouTube– Johan Arwidmark (@jarwidmark)
- Windows Update for Business Reports | EUC365 – YouTube – David Brook (@DBBrook24)
- Starting with Log Analytics: Part 7 – Give your workbook a better look | Syst & Deploy (systanddeploy.com) – Damien Van Robaeys (@syst_and_deploy)
- Simon does…: HP Connect for Intune, Part2: BIOS Authentication (skotheimsvik.blogspot.com) – Simon Skotheimsvik (@SSkotheimsvik)
- Podcast episode 213 (kneedeepintech.com) – Alexander Arvidsson, Simon Binder & Heini Ilmarinen (@arcticdba, @Bindertech & @HeiniIlmarinen)
- Custom Device Inventory in Microsoft Intune without use of log analytics! – YouTube – Mattias Melkersen & Michael Mardahl (@MMelkersen & @michael_mardahl)
- Namaste Techies Year End (2022) Recap – Take on MVP Program, Microsoft Certifications and D&I – YouTube – Namaste Techies (@anoopmannur and @Hoorge)
- Deploy Microsoft Store Apps From Intune With Winget HTMD Blog (anoopcnair.com) – Jitesh Kumar (@jitesh8092
- Say Hi! to the New Microsoft Store in Intune – Intune – In Real Life (intuneirl.com) – Somesh Pathak (@pathak_somesh))
- New Microsoft Store integrated in Intune | Peter Klapwijk – In The Cloud 24-7 (inthecloud247.com) – Peter Klapwjik (@inthecloud_247)
- Intune automation enlightenment – Azure Logic App + Graph API + Managed Identity (oceanleaf.ch) – Niklas Tinner (@NiklasTinner)
- Informing users with organizational messages – All about Microsoft Endpoint Manager (petervanderwoude.nl) – Peter van der Woude (@pvanderwoude)
- Disable Taskbar Settings using Intune | Prevent Taskbar Changes (prajwaldesai.com) – Prajwal Desai (@PrajwalDesai)
- Deploy the Windows 365 app via WinGet – Intune to your Managed endpoints (via the Microsoft Store) – YouTube – Christiaan Brinkhoff (@Brinkhoff_C)
- Microsoft Store Apps | Intune | Winget | Private Store (call4cloud.nl) – Rudy Ooms (@Mister_MDM)
- Manage Windows Package Manager settings with Microsoft Intune | Peter Klapwijk – In The Cloud 24-7 (inthecloud247.com) – Peter Klapwjik (@inthecloud_247)
- Retire Noncompliant Devices From Intune Portal HTMD Blog (anoopcnair.com) – Jitesh Kumar (@jitesh8092)
- How to Configure Multiple Admin Approvals Over Intune Resources – EMS Route – Shehan Perera (@Shehanperera85)
- Configure Intune Device Cleanup Rules | Delete Stale Devices (prajwaldesai.com) – Prajwal Desai (@PrajwalDesai)
- Suppress Default File Format Office 365 prompt run via Intune (endpointcave.com) – René Laas (@mr_helaas)
- Time to remove Microsoft Store for Business from Intune – Mr T-Bone´s Blog (tbone.se) – Torbjörn Granheden (@MrTbone_se)
- Simon does…: The new multiple administrative approvals experience (skotheimsvik.blogspot.com) – Simon Skotheimsvik (@SSkotheimsvik)
- Silently enable BitLocker on non-Modern Standby capable devices using Microsoft Endpoint Manager – imab.dk – Martin Bengtsson (@mwbengtsson)
- How to Configure Multiple Admin Approvals In Intune (prajwaldesai.com) – Prajwal Desai (@PrajwalDesai)
- My take on the future app deployment with Intune (oceanleaf.ch) – Niklas Tinner (@NiklasTinner)
- Test Base for Microsoft 365 integration with Microsoft Intune – All about Microsoft Endpoint Manager (petervanderwoude.nl) – Peter van der Woude (@pvanderwoude)
- Register Windows 365 Images in Azure – NielsKok.Tech – Niels Kok (@NielsKok5)
- PowerShell – Create a custom Windows 11 Enterprise (22H2) + Microsoft 365 Apps golden image for Windows 365 Cloud PC using Marketplace Image | AskAresh – Aresh Sarkari (@askaresh)
- Schedule Windows 365 Cloud PC Reboot’s with Azure Automation – Joey Verlinden (@jvldn1)
- Understanding Windows 365 Government – Thomas MarcussenThomas Marcussen (@MarcussenThomas)
- Windows 365 – Graph API and PowerShell Basics (euc365.com) – David Brook (@DBBrook24)
- Windows 365 SSO (stefandingemanse.com) – Stefan Dingemanse (@SDingemanse)
- What You Need To Know About Windows 365 Lifecycle – Thomas MarcussenThomas Marcussen (@MarcussenThomas)
- Restrict Cloud Apps (ServiceNow, GitHub Enterprise, Atlassian Cloud & Office 365) access to Windows 365 Cloud PC/Azure Virtual Desktop | AskAresh – Aresh Sarkari (@askaresh)
Other SysAdmin Info
- Exploring Firmware Assessments in Microsoft Defender Vulnerability Management – Deployment Research – Johan Arwidmark (@jarwidmark)
- Simon does…: The new Microsoft Store Experience (skotheimsvik.blogspot.com) – Simon Skotheimsvik (@SSkotheimsvik)
- Organizing Managed Google Play apps with collections – All about Microsoft Endpoint Manager (petervanderwoude.nl) – Peter van der Woude (@pvanderwoude)
- A toast notification to display a warning to user if a device not rebooted since x days (even with fast startup enabled) | Syst & Deploy (systanddeploy.com) – Damien Van Robaeys (@syst_and_deploy)
- Using ChatGPT to generate PowerShell Scripts or get help with Intune | Syst & Deploy (systanddeploy.com) – Damien Van Robaeys (@syst_and_deploy)
- Migrate Bitlocker recovery key(s) to Azure AD – Mindcore Techblog – Sune Thomsen (@SuneThomsenDK)
Recast Software has released Application Manager, a new third-party patching tool. Application Manager allows your IT team to powerfully and simply manage third-party applications in your organization from one centralized location. Interested in learning more? Request a quote and tour here.
Recast Software also created a new infographic demonstrating the benefits of implementing Endpoint Insights into your MECM / SCCM environment. Give a look!
If you missed Recast Software’s webinar on zero trust featuring Sami Laiho, an MVP in Windows and Devices for IT, you can find the recording here and read a blog recap here. Sami gave a clear overview of what privileged access management (PAM) means for your team and provided tips on how you can move closer to a zero trust environment. Recast also provided attendees with a brief glimpse into their newest software, Privilege Manager, a PAM solution.
- Follow us on Twitter @RecastSoftware to hear the latest.
- Give a look at our newest eBook, The Top 10 Most Used Right Click Tools.
Thank you for checking out Recast’s Endpoint Management Recap – December 2022. Stay tuned for more helpful content coming your way in the new year.
See how Right Click Tools are changing the way systems are managed.
Immediately boost productivity with our limited, free to use, Community Edition.
Get started with Right Click Tools today: