Monthly What's New
Recast’s Endpoint Management Recap – September 2022
Receive notification right in your inbox whenever new content like this is released & sign up for our email list!
We’ll send you the latest updates, how-to’s, and solutions to empower you at every endpoint.
Welcome to Recast’s Endpoint Management Recap, September 2022 – by Daniel Engberg
The first official month of fall is here! I like this part of the year, it’s still not that cold, but you can be inside without any bad conscience.
In September, the main highlight is the release of Windows 11 22H2, which, most significantly, adds built-in security features.
The community has also provided a massive amount of content.
Apart from Windows 11, there is also much content around Windows 365. This month, I tried using a USB-C connection on an Android phone to get a whole Windows 365 experience. It had some hiccups, but it worked! I can see a cool future where you have your cloud PC in your pocket.
The following newsletter will most likely be packed with content since Ignite is happening in October. This will be a hybrid event, digitally and on-site, in Seattle. Sadly, I will not attend, but I will watch as many sessions as my busy schedule allows.
Recast Software will host a webinar Tuesday, October 18th with Sami Laiho, a 12-time Microsoft MVP, to discuss what privileged access management means for your team and provide tips on how you can move closer to a zero trust environment. Attendees will get a first look into Recast’s new PAM solution, Privilege Manager.
Talk to you next month!
– Daniel Engberg
Contents – Endpoint Management Recap
- Events / Conference News
- Microsoft Product Announcements
- Hardware Vendor Updates (Tools / Security / Features)
- Community Tools / News
- Recast Updates
- Microsoft Ignite – October 12-14, 2022
- MMS – Midwest Management Summit – MMS 2023 Miami Beach Edition (mmsmoa.com) – October 30 – November 1, 2023
In September, Microsoft released Windows 11 22H2 with some built-in security features, such as additional security features. Apart from that, I’m excited about the new releases and know that some extra things will come to add support for Windows 365. We also have some usable applications, such as Clip Champ. The update is available through deployment in Intune, Visual Studio Subscription, and as an image in the Windows 365 gallery.
- Windows 11, version 22H2 Security Baseline
- Administrative Templates (.admx) for Windows 11, version 22H2
- Group Policy settings reference spreadsheet for Windows 11, version 22H2
- Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (Windows ADK) for Windows 11, version 22H2
We also have a new SCCM Technical Preview version, 2209. My favorite feature in this release is that searches in the console include sub-folders by default.
Azure Active Directory [What’s New Page]
ConfigMgr [What’s New Page] [Tech Community] [Virtual Hub][MS Q\A][Reddit][Feedback]
- NTLM connection fallback update for Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager – Configuration Manager | Microsoft Learn
ConfigMgr Tech Preview
Microsoft Endpoint Manager (Intune) [What’s New Page]
Windows [What’s New Page]
- Windows Client
- What’s new for IT pros in Windows 11, version 22H2 | Windows IT Pro Blog (microsoft.com)
- Work safer and smarter with the Windows 11 2022 Update | Microsoft 365 Blog
- Available today: The Windows 11 2022 Update | Windows Experience Blog
- How to get the Windows 11 2022 Update | Windows Experience Blog
- Faster. Smaller. Windows 11, version 22H2 update fundamentals | Windows IT Pro Blog (microsoft.com)
- Windows Update is now carbon aware (microsoft.com)
Security Alerts and Info [Microsoft Security Portal – Security Update Guide]
Every month, we cover updates to the tools, scripts, and software provided by the major hardware vendors related to enterprise client management. Check out the ConfigMgr Manufacturers page for a complete list of tools, blog posts, and information about the vendors.
** Much of this information is provided directly from the vendor, so when you see “we” think of it as, “Vendor Name,” and not Recast Software.
- Dell Command Configure Update – version 22.214.171.1244, A00
- Dell Command Deploy WinPE Driver Pack – version 1.0, A28
- Dell Trusted Device Agent – version 4.8.135, A38
- HP Image Assistant (HPIA) – version 5.1.6 – Adds command line parameter /ReferenceFile that allows passing a reference filename. This is equivalent to using the UI for Analyze Image in the Choose Reference Image field.
- HP Client Management Script Library – version 1.6.8
Due to the sheer amount of community content, I have decided only to include one post per contributor, to keep the size of the endpoint management recap down. Great work everyone with providing so much to us for free!
Podcasts / Blog Series / Video Blogs
- Graph 101 – E6 – Graph 101 App Registration (I.T) – YouTube – Intune Training Series (@OnPremCloudGuy, @AdamGrossTX, @powers_hell and @shackelfjaco)
- Graph 101 – E7 – Graph 101 The Fun Begins! Getting a User (I.T) – YouTube – Intune Training Series (@OnPremCloudGuy, @AdamGrossTX, @powers_hell and @shackelfjaco)
- [Modern Workplace Talk] – Florian Salzmann – YouTube – Mattias Melkersen (@MMelkersen)
- How to Set Up Microsoft Intune – YouTube – Justin Chalfant (@SetupConfigMgr)
- How to Use Endpoint Manager Import ADMX Function to Map Shared Drives – Shehan Perera:[techBlog] – Shenan Perera (@Shehanperera85)
- Hitting the max application limit in Intune | ScotScottMcA – Scott McAllister (@ScotScottMcA)
- How to deploy Windows Autopatch with Microsoft Endpoint Manager – Intune – Robin Hobo (@robinhobo)
- Query Azure AD logs with KQL from Powershell (learningbydoing.cloud) – Stian A. Strysse (@stianstrysse)
- Deploy MacOS LOB Apps Using Intune MEM HTMD Blog (anoopcnair.com) – Jitesh Kumar (@jitesh8092)
- Intune Service Release Numbers, Updates, and New Features (prajwaldesai.com) – Prajwal Desai (@PrajwalDesai)
- Windows Autopatch Setup Implementation Guide (prajwaldesai.com) – Prajwal Desai (@PrajwalDesai)
- Autopilot Hangs | Stuck on Identifying Apps | ESP (call4cloud.nl) – Rudy Ooms (@Mister_MDM)
- Deep dive of SCEP certificate request/renewal on Intune-managed Windows clients – Modern IT – Cloud – Workplace (oliverkieselbach.com) – Oliver Kieselbach (@okieselb)
- Getting Intune Win32App details from the client’s Intune log and registry (doitpsway.com) – Ondrej Sebela (@AndrewZtrhgf)
- Intune error codes and solutions – Mindcore Techblog – Mattias Melkersen (@MMelkersen)
- Common Criteria Mode for corporate-owned Android Enterprise devices – All about Microsoft Endpoint Manager (petervanderwoude.nl) – Peter van der Woude (@pvanderwoude)
- Run Scripts -> Run-HPIA – GARYTOWN ConfigMgr Blog – Gary Blok (@gwblok)
- Enable Microsoft Defender For Endpoint Updates Patching Using SCCM And WSUS HTMD Blog (anoopcnair.com) – Anoop C Nair (@anoopmannur)
- SCCM 2208 Technical Preview New Features HTMD Blog (anoopcnair.com) – Jitesh Kumar (@jitesh8092)
- Deploy an Intune application with user device affinity – Modern IT – Cloud – Workplace (oliverkieselbach.com) – Oliver Kieselbach (@okieselb)
- Technical Preview 2208 is out, adds RBAC for tenant attached devices | just another windows noob ? (niallbrady.com) – Niall C. Brady (@ncbrady)
- ConfigMgr Technical Preview version 2209 New Features (prajwaldesai.com) – Prajwal Desai (@PrajwalDesai)
- Deployment Of Amazon WorkSpaces Using SCCM | MSI Application Guide HTMD Blog (anoopcnair.com) – Abhinav Rana
Other SysAdmin Info
- Use PowerShell to get your OneDrive Sync status · CloudAppie – Albert-Jan Schot (@appieschot)
- Easy removal of preinstalled bloatware using PowerShell (doitpsway.com) – Ondrej Sebela (@AndrewZtrhgf)
- Getting started with Microsoft Dev Box – All about Microsoft Endpoint Manager (petervanderwoude.nl) – Peter van der Woude (@pvanderwoude)
- New and removed built-in apps in Win11 22H2 – Deployment Research – Matt Benninge (@matbg)
- Create Compatibility Collections in ConfigMgr for Windows 11 22H2 (smsagent.blog) – Trevor Jones (@SMSagentTrevor)
- Intune Feature Update Deployment Policy For Windows 11 22H2 Upgrade HTMD Blog (anoopcnair.com) – Anoop C Nair (@anoopmannur)
- Getting started with Microsoft Graph and Win32apps – Patch Tuesday Blog – Ben Whitmore (@byteben)
- Support Tool – WPF Form (joseespitia.com) – Jose Espitia (@JoseEspitia_com)
- GitHub – okieselbach/SyncMLViewer: A small real time SyncML protocol Viewer – Oliver Kieselbach (@okieselb)
- GitHub – djust270/IntuneEndpointTools: A set of tools for managing and diagnosing Intune on Windows endpoints – David Just (@DavidJu14353759)
Webinar: Zero Trust with Sami Laiho – Tuesday, October 18th – Sign Up Here
Join Sami Laiho, 12-time Microsoft MVP, and Recast Software as we discuss what privileged access management means for your team and provide tips on how you can move closer to a zero trust environment. Plus, you will get a first look into Recast Software’s new PAM solution, Privilege Manager.
- Read our recent interviews with SysAdmin Superstars Prajwal Desai and Sami Laiho.
- We are hiring! If you or someone you know is looking to make a huge impact at a fast-growing company, take a look at our job postings and apply today.
- Follow us on Twitter @RecastSoftware to hear the latest.
Thank you for checking out Recast’s Endpoint Management Recap – September 2022. Stay tuned for more helpful content coming your way.