Welcome to the Recast Endpoint Management Recap, April 2021 by Gary Blok
Hi Bloggers! If you’re in the community and you’re blogging things, feel free to send me a DM or tag me in your Twitter post when you tweet your latest blog post so I know it’s out there. I browse Twitter fairly regularly, but I’m sure I still miss a lot of great content being created. If you’ve started blogging and it never shows up on my list, hit me up! @gwblok
Thanks for checking out the April edition of our recap. As always, the layout to the post:
- Events / Conference News
- Microsoft Product Announcements
- Hardware Vendor Updates (Tools / Security / Features)
- Community Tools / News
- Recast Updates
That’s the idea, a high level overview of things going on that you’ll want to be aware of and you can dig into them further on your own. If you’re new to this monthly post, you’ll want to look back at previous months, so much great content.
Microsoft Products & Announcements
Microsoft has posted a page with a lot of great resources during this time, to help IT professionals, Educators, Families, and Remote Business, along with how Microsoft is helping in the battle on COVID-19 on their Responding to COVID-19 together page.
- v90 released with some pretty sweet new features
- CM 2103 – 2000+ bugs fixed, along with new features.
- New-CMBootableMedia cmdlet fails in ConfigMgr 2103 (Johan Arwidmark @jarwidmark)
- The spDeleteUpdate stored procedure runs slowly
ConfigMgr Tech Preview [What’s New Page]
- BitLocker Series
- Windows release health now available in the admin center
- Introducing a new deployment service for driver and firmware updates
- Windows Recovery Environment explained
Security Alerts [Microsoft Security Portal – Security Update Guide]
Hardware Vendor Updates
I’m only listing changes. If you want a more complete list of their tools, check out previous month’s posts.
For a full list of tools, blog posts and information about the vendors, check out the ConfigMgr Manufacturers’ page.
** Much of this information is provided directly from the vendor, so when you see “we,” think of it as “Vendor Name,” and not Recast Software.
HPIA 5.1 t is about to release. This update adds a json file output with the recommendations and/or output of installed Softpaqs. In addition the following enhancements have been made
- Adds support for Windows 10 v21H1.
- Adds support for the dashboard reporting feature of HP MIK – Patch Assistant plugin.
- Adds Negotiated Authentication proxy support.
- Changed default to SoftPaq View after Analyze Image.
- Removed ISO option from Create Driver Pack.
- Location for Visit Forum menu link in HPIA changed.
- We are preparing for some updates to the cloud repository manager that will be ready for July. If you have any questions or feedback about the cloud repository tool – we [Dell] are always looking to see how we can improve or enhance the experience.
Lenovo [Enterprise Tools Landing Page][Blog Site]
- We have updated Lenovo System Update, Thin Installer, and Update Retriever recently to pick up the latest Lenovo Certificate Verification Library. Customers using these tools will need to update in order to work with the very latest update packages signed by new certificates.
- [Blog Post] Configure BIOS Settings Through Intune with the Think BIOS Config Tool
- Released Surface Laptop 4
Community Tools \ Blogs
One more note, I do my best to provide Twitter accounts with the blog posts, both to provide credit where credit is due, and so you can then follow them yourselves to stay in the loop as things are coming out and ideas are being discussed on Twitter.
Podcasts / Blog Series / Video Blogs
- [Documentation Series] Beyond the MS Docs, a ConfigMgr overview,
- [Youtube Channel] Intune Training Series [@OnPremCloudGuy & @AdamGrossTX]
- [Youtube Channel] Namaste Techies [@anoopmannur & @Hoorge]
- [Youtube Series] WVD Image Management Series (Jim Moyle @JimMoyle)
- Using Setup Assistant with modern authentication (Peter van der Woude @pvanderwoude)
- Supporting Multiple Primary Sites, and Multiple Azure/Intune Tenants (Johan Arwidmark @jarwidmark)
- Configure Microsoft Teams application settings using PowerShell and Proactive Remediations in Microsoft Endpoint Manager (Martin Bengtsson @mwbengtsson)
- Intune compliance with Lenovo dynamic BIOS configuration (Mattias Melkersen @MMelkersen)
- Proactive Hard Drive Replacement with Endpoint Analytics (Maurice Daly @modaly_it)
- Cloud attach – Endpoint Managers silver lining – part 6 Enabling conditional access (Niall C. Brady @ncbrady & Paul Winstanley @SCCMentor)
- Validate Azure AD Dynamic Group Rules (Jitesh Kumar @jitesh8092)
- MEMCM – Migration from On premise to Intune – Part 6 – Migration of Policies (Dujon Walsham @dwalshamPRO)
- How can I learn how to use Microsoft Azure? (Luke Murray @lukemurraynz)
- Microsoft 365 Licensing Auto-Claim Policy (Sean McAvinue @sean_mcavinue)
- Windows Autopilot after Hardware Failure (ModernEUC @ModernEUC)
- Feature Update Errors (Chris Buck @SCCMF12TWICE)
- [Enhansoft Posts]
- Get Computer Name from ConfigMgr AdminService in WinPE (Johan Arwidmark @jarwidmark)
- Windows 10 Toast Notification Script Update: Improved re-run behavior with ConfigMgr and allow running in SYSTEM context (Martin Bengtsson @mwbengtsson)
- Running custom actions during a Windows 10 Feature Update with Configuration Manager (Ben Whitmore @byteben)
- Enhance Intune Inventory data with Proactive Remediations and Log Analytics (Sandy Zeng @sandy_tsang & Jan Ketil Skanke @JankeSkanke)
- SQL Query for SCCM Configuration Baselines Results (Debabrata Pati)
Other SysAdmin Info
- Turn off News & Interests page via policy (Michael Niehaus @mniehaus)
- Creating the smallest Windows 10 image (Michael Niehaus @mniehaus)
- Defender definition updates fail from Windows Update on Windows 10 20H2? (Michael Niehaus @mniehaus)
- Automating Disk Cleanup on Windows 10 (Michael Niehaus @mniehaus)
- Get the current patch level for Windows 10 with PowerShell (Trevor Jones @SMSagentTrevor)
- OSDCloud is the name given to deploying an OS over the internet using the OSD PS Module.
- OS Deployment with OSDCloud and Symantec Client Management Suite (Johannes Bedrech @JBedrech)
- OSDCloud: The ZTI Way (Sune Thomsen @SuneThomsenDK)
- OSDCloud – Image devices without need of infrastructure WIFI and ZTI (Mattias Melkersen @MMelkersen)
- Great Moments in IT History | Skatterbrainz Blog (@skatterbrainzz)
- MEM Script Helper – A Power App for viewing and editing MEM Scripts (Jay Williams @portaldotjay)
- TSCommander adds the possibility to run server-side commands from a running MEMCM Task sequence.
- Company IT Tools – modified version of “About My PC” from Damien
- WMI Code Creator: Have you ever wondered what WMI Queries are available to you? This tool gives you a nice interface with dropdown menus and gives you the correct syntax for what you are looking for. – Tip from Niclas Andersson @NiAndeIT
- Updated the 2Pint BranchCache Tuner CI for MEMCM
Recast Software Updates
- Right Click Tools version 4.6 is available for download now.
- [New Resource Center] You may have noticed, Recastsoftware.com has a new look! Check out the new Resource Center for an easier way to navigate to deep dives and helpful guides created by Gary Blok.
- Follow us on Twitter @RecastSoftware to hear the latest.
Thanks for checking out the post, and look forward to more monthly updates of what’s going on.