Welcome to the Recast Endpoint Management Recap, May 2022 – by Daniel Engberg.
This edition will be my first, and I’m very excited to be joining Recast with a monthly recap. I’ll start with a quick introduction. My name is Daniel Engberg, and I have been working and covering the enterprise client management space for the past ten years on my blog, danielengberg.com. I live in Gothenburg, Sweden, with my wife and 1.5-year-old son and work as a Principal Consultant at Agdiwo.
This month, we have a new version of the ConfigMgr Technical Preview, which resolves a long-awaited feature for configuring maintenance windows offset from Patch Tuesday. The community has provided us with a few blog posts on the topic.
One fun trend I’m seeing is the plethora of new, free community events. Check out a few of them below and sign up!
I hope you like the newsletter. If you want to be featured, or have any comments, feel free to reach out to me on Twitter.
- Events / Conference News
- Microsoft Product Announcements
- Hardware Vendor Updates (Tools / Security / Features)
- Community Tools / News
- Recast Updates
- AVD Tech Fest September 2022 – Thursday, September 1, 2022
- Workplace Ninja Summit 2022 – Monday, September 12-14, 2022
- 5th Cloud8 Virtual Summit 2022 – Friday, September 23, 2022
This month, Microsoft has provided us with some updates for Microsoft Defender for Endpoint (previously Microsoft Advanced Threat Protection).
We also see updates for ConfigMgr, being some long-awaited updates in the new Technical Preview 2205. It is interesting to follow the updates here, as any improvements are usually carried over to the production release within a short timeframe.
ConfigMgr Tech Preview [What’s New Page]
- Among some new improvements, the biggest news in this release is the addition of the option to set an offset for maintenance windows following Patch Tuesday. Configuration of this offset has been a long-standing issue, and I have previously written about this and created a solution: SCCM Maintenance Windows Creation based on Patch Tuesday (danielengberg.com). Hopefully, this should not be required any more.
Security Alerts and Info [Microsoft Security Portal – Security Update Guide]
Every month, we cover updates to the tools, scripts, and software provided by the major hardware vendors related to enterprise client management. For a full list of tools, blog posts and information about the vendors, check out the ConfigMgr Manufacturers’ page.
** Much of this information is provided directly from the vendor, so when you see “we” think of it as, “Vendor Name,” and not Recast Software.
This month, HP has provided us an update to their suite of scripts, called the HP Client Management Script Library (CMSL).
- HP Client Management Script Library (CMSL) – Version 1.6.5 has been released with various bug fixes.
Due to the sheer amount of community content, I have decided only to include one post per contributor, to keep the size of the newsletter down. Great work everyone with providing so much to us for free!
Podcasts / Blog Series / Video Blogs
- ConfigMgr 2203 Top Features – YouTube– Namaste Techies – (@anoopmannur and @Hoorge)
- Intune Reporting with PowerBI or Log Analytics – YouTube – Damien Van Robaeys – (@syst_and_deploy)
- Shortcut provisioning: cutting it really, really short (threeisacloud.tech) – Niels Scheffers – (@threeisacloud)
- Block the Office File Transfer Endpoints to help prevent data leakage on Managed Devices (msendpointmgr.com) – Ben Whitmore – (@byteben)
- Android Enterprise Single App Kiosk with Intune – Cloud Clients – James Barber – (@barberj66)
- Set up a free Microsoft Intune lab tenant with Microsoft 365 developer subscription | Peter Klapwijk – In The Cloud 24-7 (inthecloud247.com) – Peter Klapwijk – (@inthecloud_247)
- Different Autopilot Hardware Hashes from the Same Device – TechNuggets (wordpress.com) – Shannon Fritz – (@MrShannonFritz)
- Enhance Update Compliance Reporting with Microsoft Endpoint Manager (smsagent.blog) – Trevor Jones – (@SMSagentTrevor)
- MMS Intune Management PowerApp Demo Part 1: Creating the PowerAutomate flows | (modernendpoint.com) – Sean Bulger – (@managed_blog)
- Using Install-language during AutoPilot Windows 11 insider – CCMEXEC.COM – Enterprise Mobility – Jörgen Nilsson – (@ccmexec)
- Autopilot Time Out Issues and the old Quick Assist tool (call4cloud.nl) – Rudy Ooms – (@Mister_MDM)
- olastrom.com – Conditional access and Windows 365 – Ola Ström – (@olastromcom)
- Easily installing Progressive Web Apps – All about Microsoft Endpoint Manager (petervanderwoude.nl) – Peter van der Woude – (@pvanderwoude)
- How to configure Microsoft Defender SmartScreen via Microsoft Intune? – Endpoint Cave – René Laas – (@mr_helaas)
- Disable the set Microsoft Edge as default PDF reader nag via Intune – SCCMentor – Paul Winstanley – (@SCCMentor)
- Migrate to the cloud – Part 1. Setup – System Center Configuration Manager (Current Branch) – www.windows-noob.com – Niall C. Brady – (@ncbrady)
- Conditional Access can now require reauthentication every time! – Mr T-Bone´s Blog (tbone.se) – Torbjörn (Mr T-Bone) Granheden – (@MrTbone_se)
- Setting up Dynamic groups & Conditional Access policy to enforce MFA as part of Windows 365 Cloud PC configuration in MEM (rahuljindalmyit.blogspot.com) – Rahul Jindal – (@rahulj1906)
- Application Reliability Monitor with Log Analytics – MSEndpointMgr – Maurice Daly – (@modaly_it)
- Configuration Manager Technical Preview 2205 New Features (prajwaldesai.com) – Prajwal Desai – (@PrajwalDesai)
- Technical Preview 2205 New Features In Configuration Manager HTMD Blog (anoopcnair.com) – Jitesh Kumar – (@jitesh8092)
- Extend your inventory with SCCM Active Directory Attributes (systemcenterdudes.com) – Benoit Lecours – (@benoitlecours)
- Create SCCM Maintenance Windows For Clients Reports HTMD Blog (anoopcnair.com) – Anoop C Nair – (@anoopmannur)
Other SysAdmin Info
- Recapping Microsoft Build 2022: Best Sessions to Catch Up On (onmsft.com) – Arif Bacchus – (@abacjourn)
- Intune Debug Tools v1.5 – Mattias Melkersen – (@MMelkersen)
- Intune Device Details GUI v2.95 – Petri Paavola – (@petripaavola)
- The first installment of our 5-part webinar series on Endpoint Insights is now available on-demand! Register here to catch the next part on June 15th.
- We are hiring! If you or someone you know is looking to make a huge impact at a fast-growing company, take a look at our job postings and apply today.
- Follow us on Twitter @RecastSoftware to hear the latest.
Thank you for checking out Recast’s Endpoint Management Recap – May 2022. Stay tuned for more helpful content coming your way.
See how Right Click Tools are changing the way systems are managed.
Immediately boost productivity with our limited, free to use, Community Edition.
Get started with Right Click Tools today: