Welcome to the Recast Endpoint Management Recap, March 2021 by Gary Blok
Sign up for the Enhansoft Monthly Newsletter, another great resource delivered to your inbox!
Hi Bloggers! If you’re in the community and you’re blogging things, feel free to send me a DM or tag me in your Twitter post when you tweet your latest blog post so I know it’s out there. I browse Twitter fairly regularly, but I’m sure I still miss a lot of great content being created. If you’ve started blogging and it never shows up on my list, hit me up! @gwblok
Thanks for checking out the March edition of our recap. As always, the layout to the post:
- Events / Conference News
- Microsoft Product Announcements
- Hardware Vendor Updates (Tools / Security / Features)
- Community Tools / News
- Recast Updates
That’s the idea, a high level overview of things going on that you’ll want to be aware of and you can dig into them further on your own. If you’re new to this monthly post, you’ll want to look back at previous months, so much great content.
- Workplace Ninja Virtual Edition 2021 – Aug 31 – Sept 2
- [Paid] The ViaMonstra OnlineAcademy
- [Paid] 2021 PowerShell + DevOps Global Summit – April April 27-29
- WMiSMUG (@WMiSMUG) – April 9th
Microsoft Products & Announcements
Microsoft has posted a page with a lot of great resources during this time, to help IT professionals, Educators, Families, and Remote Business, along with how Microsoft is helping in the battle on COVID-19 on their Responding to COVID-19 together page.
- Microsoft announces changes to Edge browser release cycle
- New Microsoft Edge to replace Microsoft Edge Legacy with April’s Windows 10 Update Tuesday release
- FYI… a new ODT released [3/23], you’ll want to use this for your deployments.
- Stay current with Windows 10 and Microsoft 365 Apps – Learn | Microsoft Docs
- YouTube Channel – Mike Tholfsen’s quick tips video channel on Microsoft products
- Training: Introduction to Microsoft Endpoint Manager
- As of writing this, nothing new, but I hear CM 2103 will be released “soon.”
ConfigMgr Tech Preview [What’s New Page]
- Get started with Microsoft Graph Toolkit at Microsoft Learn
- What’s New in Microsoft Endpoint Manager – Microsoft Ignite 2021 Edition
- Windows 10, version 21H1 for commercial pre-release validation
- Introducing a new deployment service for driver and firmware updates
Security Alerts [Microsoft Security Portal – Security Update Guide]
Hardware Vendor Updates
I’m only listing changes. If you want a more complete list of their tools, check out previous month’s posts.
For a full list of tools, blog posts and information about the vendors, check out the ConfigMgr Manufacturers’ page.
** Much of this information is provided directly from the vendor, so when you see “we,” think of it as “Vendor Name,” and not Recast Software.
- Nothing new to report this month.
- Latitude XX20 Line
- New KB: Xx20 Systems INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE – The systems can PXE boot and connect to the SCCM server. After choosing the task sequence the system’s SSD will correctly partition and format, the OS will be downloaded, and the drivers are injected. After the first reboot to Windows 10 the system Bluescreens and the “INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE” error is shown.
- New Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver – Enhanced the system stability
- Dell Flash64W 3.3.11 – Feb 23 2021
- Include support for BiosMeasurement in efi version of the tool
- Add command line option EC=HardReset
- Dell WinPE Cab – Feb 23 2021
Lenovo [Enterprise Tools Landing Page][Blog Site]
- Nothing new to report this month.
- Nothing new to report this month.
Community Tools \ Blogs
One more note, I do my best to provide Twitter accounts with the blog posts, both to provide credit where credit is due, and so you can then follow them yourselves to stay in the loop as things are coming out and ideas are being discussed on Twitter.
Podcasts / Blog Series / Video Blogs
- [Documentation Series] Beyond the MS Docs, a ConfigMgr overview,
- Task Sequence Steps in depth
- Community Tools
- [Youtube Channel] Intune Training Series [@OnPremCloudGuy & @AdamGrossTX]
- [Youtube Channel] Namaste Techies [@anoopmannur & @Hoorge]
- [Youtube Series] WVD Image Management Series (Jim Moyle @JimMoyle)
- [Blog Post] Store BIOS passwords on Azure Key Vault and set devices password with Intune (for Lenovo, Dell, HP) (Damien Van Robaeys @syst_and_deploy)
- [Blog Post] Script to make the user which enrolled in AAD a local admin. (Jörgen Nilsson @ccmexec)
- [Blog Post] Configure SCCM e-mail notifications on alerts and reports (Benoit Lecours @benoitlecours)
- [Blog Post] Automatically Migrate Applications from ConfigMgr to Intune with the Win32App Migration Tool – MSEndpointMgr (Ben Whitmore @byteben)
- [Blog Post] Configuring Citrix Receiver with Custom Intune policies (Peter Egerton @PeterEgerton)
- [Blog Post] Intune: Windows Hello for Business (Katy Nicholson @coaster_katy)
- [Blog Post] Azure: Conditional Access and MFA (Katy Nicholson @coaster_katy)
- [Blog Post] MSSP Access to Azure Sentinel and M365 Defender (Sami Lamppu @samilamppu)
- [Blog Post] How to fix broken device sync using Proactive Remediation Scripts feature in Intune (Rahul Jindal @rahulj1906)
- [Blog Post] Using Microsoft Defender for Endpoint in app protection policies for Android and iOS (Peter van der Woude @pvanderwoude)
- [Blog Post] Configuring Microsoft Edge and ‘Always allow to open links of this type in the associated app’ using Microsoft Endpoint Manager (Martin Bengtsson @mwbengtsson)
- [Enhansoft Posts]
- [Blog Post] ConfigMgr: Run “All” Client Actions During OSD (Sune Thomsen @SuneThomsenDK)
- [Blog Post] Updates or Applications Stuck at Preparing to download or fail with error 0x87D00669 or 0x87D00607 (PatchMyPC)
- [Blog Post] Unable to find the Assembly: AdminUI.WqlQueryEngine, Version=220.127.116.11, Culture=neutral (PatchMyPC)
- [Blog Post] Build better pilot rings for Updates with MEMCM (Thomas Kurth @ThomasKurth_ch)
- [Blog Post] SCCM Collections Management Tips, Scripts and Tools (Benoit Lecours @benoitlecours)
Other SysAdmin Info
- [Blog Post] OSDCloud – Image devices without need of infrastructure (Mattias Melkersen @MMelkersen)
- [Blog Post] MSIX Modern Packaging – Part 5 (Mattias Melkersen @MMelkersen)
- [Blog Post] A Reusable File System Event Watcher for PowerShell (Wolfgang)
- [Blog Post] Remove Microsoft Account or Work Account (Adam Fowler @AdamFowler_IT)
- [Blog Post] The Remote Impostor: Looking back to look forward (Sean Bulger @managed_blog)
- [Blog Post] Calculating the Offline Time for a Windows 10 Upgrade (Trevor Jones @SMSagentTrevor)
- [Blog Post] Disable Internet Explorer 11 as a standalone app (Peter Klapwijk @inthecloud_247)
- [PowerShell Module] Win32AppMigrationTool (Ben Whitmore @byteben)
- OSDCloud Overview – OSDCloud (osdeploy.com) (David Segura @SeguraOSD
- I’m going to give a special call out to this last one, I can’t start to stress enough how huge this is. Being able to run “OSD” by pulling down the Windows Media from Microsoft directly, and then transitioning to AutoPilot, along with pulling down and applying vendor drivers directly from the vendors. There are also come cool lessons along the way, like leveraging PowerShell gallery in WinPE. I strongly suggest you check this out.
- UI++ 18.104.22.168 Released with a couple of new bug fixes and a small feature tweak.
- [Newsletter Signup] Deployment News – Deployment Research.
- [New Book – Paid] Learning Microsoft Endpoint Manager: Unified Endpoint Management with Intune and the Enterprise Mobility + Security Suite (Scott Duffey @Scottduf)
- [Tool] Intunewin right click tool: Extract content of intunewin file with a right-click on it (Damien Van Robaeys @syst_and_deploy) tweeted.
- [Script] Import Win32 IDesktop API C# with PowerShell. Change desktop wallpaper on any monitor on the fly [Twitter Demo] (Ioan Popovici @IoanPopovici)
Recast Software Updates
- [Webinar Series] Check out the ConfigMgr Community Tools Webinar Series for deep dives into several popular community tools.
- [Community Tools] A comprehensive list of 60+ tools and 10+ deep dives to help you achieve more within ConfigMgr.
- [New Resource Center] You may have noticed, our endpoint management software page has a new look! Check out the new Resource Center for an easier way to navigate to deep dives and helpful guides created by Gary Blok.
- Stay tuned for exciting new features coming soon in Right Click Tools 4.6.
- Follow us on Twitter @RecastSoftware to hear the latest.
Thanks for checking out the post, and look forward to more monthly updates of what’s going on.
See how Right Click Tools are changing the way systems are managed.
Immediately boost productivity with our limited, free to use, Community Edition.
Get started with Right Click Tools today: