Series Post 4, adding the pre-reqs for CM on your server
This is the big one, this is our MEMCM server, so much is happening to setup this server it’s going to take a few posts. This post is covering some basics, and the pre-reqs, we’ll move into SQL & the actual CM Install in up coming posts.
- ConfigMgr Server – Current Branch
- Name: MEMCM.dev.recastsoftware.com
- LAN 1: Static IP (Internal Lab Network) 192.168.1.200
- C Drive = 100GB (1 Virtual Disk)
- D Drive = 50GB (1 Virtual Disk) Used for SQL Database
- E Drive = 500GB (1 Virtual Disk) Used for DP Content \ Source Server
- Memory = 8GB
- CPU = 4 Cores
The first thing I’m going to do is save myself a bunch of time and use ConfigMgrPrerequisites Tool – MSEndpointMgr to get my server ready. Because this is my lab server, I’m comfortable installing Microsoft Edge and using that to connect to the internet when I need to download things like this. I would not recommend this in production, and honeslty, once this is setup and I’ve created an “Admin Workstation”, I’ll probably remove it as I’ll barely ever connect to the server again.
Now using this tool, I’m going to extend the AD Schema. The Account I’m logged in with doesn’t have this right, so I need to add an account that does.
Using the Directory / Schema tool, I have it detect my DC, then I browse to where I have the file. I’ve mounted the ConfigMgr ISO as drive F. The tool then so nicely shows me where to browse to so I can connect to the required exe. I also then check the box to use the alternate credentials I created in the last step.
Alright, we’ve got our server in a good place for doing the next thing… setting up SQL.
Blog Post List
Series Introduction – Building a CM Lab from Scratch
- Domain Controller – Setting up your Domain Controller
- Gateway Virtual Machine – Creating a Router for your Lab using Windows Server
- Certificate Authority – On Domain Controller [Optional]
- ConfigMgr Server Pre-Reqs (Windows Features)
- Configuration Settings (AD & GPOs)
- Source Server (File Share)
- ConfigMgr SQL Install
- ConfigMgr Install
- ConfigMgr Basic Settings
- ConfigMgr Collections & App Deployment
- ConfigMgr OSD
- ConfigMgr Reporting Services
See how Right Click Tools are changing the way systems are managed.
Immediately boost productivity with our limited, free to use, Community Edition.
Get started with Right Click Tools today: