ConfigMgr Lab Setup Series
- MS Download Site for ConfigMgr & CM Tech Preview
- Visual Studio Subscriptions for your Server and Client OS (Requires Subscription)
- Eval Center for Server and Client OS Evals (Free)
Recast Lab Build Out
Here is a lab I build for using here at Recast, as I was building it out, I took time to document it along the way as I often need to reference what I did when I set things up, and since I was taking time, thought I’d share.
- Building a ConfigMgr Lab from Scratch – Series Intro
- Domain Controller VM
- Gateway VM
- Certificate Authority
- ConfigMgr [MEMCM] Server Pre-Reqs
- Configuration Settings (AD / GPO)
- ConfigMgr Source Share
- ConfigMgr [MEMCM] Installing SQL
- ConfigMgr Install
- ConfigMgr Settings Setup
- ConfigMgr Collections / App Deployments 
- Operating System Deployment
- SQL Reporting Services (SSRS)
Microsoft Supplied Lab Kit
Microsoft has a lab kit you can download and built on a hyper V server. It has all the pieces you need to start testing. I’ve used this a few times as "throw away labs" that I want to reproduce a test on a lab that is not my own to confirm something works, or a bug.
Other Community Lab Series
- YouTube – Setup ConfigMgr Step by Step – PatchMyPC
- GitHub – Skatterbrainz – CMBuild
- Hydration Kit For Windows Server 2016 and ConfigMgr Current / Technical Preview Branch
- Hydration Kit For Windows Server 2019, SQL Server 2017 and ConfigMgr Current Branch
- GitHub – Automated Lab
Handy Lab Tools #NotForProduction
- PatchMyPC Home Updater – Keep your 3rd party apps updated on your test machines.
- Blog Post – Leverage ninite.com to install Apps in your Lab
About Recast Software
1 in 3 organizations using Microsoft Configuration Manager rely on Right Click Tools to surface vulnerabilities and remediate quicker than ever before.
Download Free Tools